Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Yesterday was my 5th dose of Cladribine.  Everything went well.   My 3rd shot of Campath, 30mg which is what I will be getting going forward, was done in my belly.  I think that is going to be a good site, since I don't have any pain from that shot.

My blood work results have dropped since I have started treatment.

                                     6/1/10                 6/7/10
WBC                           21,800                 10,700
Lymphocytes               19,900                    9,800
Neutrophils                    1,500                       600

If my neutrophils go below 500 I will need to take additional medication and by body will not have the ability to fight off infection.  The nurse told me going forward to be very careful with what I eat and what I do and to take precautions to prevent infection.  Frequent hand washing is the number one remedy.  The nurse told me to avoid tylenol as it will mask a fever, which is a sign I have an infection.  If I get a fever of 99.5 I will need to call the doctor.

Yesterday was a big day for doctor communication.  Mike spoke with Dr. Castro, who I see where I live, and filled in him.  Dr. Castro is ready to take over my treatement on Monday when I return to Florida.

I have today off from treatment for my birthday, today I am 57.

2 comments:

Nancy R said...

Hi Bill - Glad to hear that arrangements have been made and you will be back in Florida for your treatments next week. Sounds like things are going well for you. Hope you had a good birthday today! Marty and Nancy Rhinelander

Nancy R said...

Hi Bill: I was just thinking about you and wanted you to know I'm hoping you are doing ok. I'll talk to Mike tomorrow morning and get an update on how you're doing. Keep your chin up! :) Nancy R