Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Post #70 - 1825 days and counting (5 Years)

Bill celebrated his 5 anniversary post transplant on Monday November 9, 2015.  Bill is doing great and looks great.

On Sunday November 8, 2015 Bill and I attended the Moffitt Transplant Reunion in Tampa, FL.  The event was well done and we enjoyed the presentations.  As Bill would say, "of all the people that attended the event, Moffitt ask Mike to speak to represent all the caregivers".  It was an honor for me to do so.  If you are friends with Bill or I on Facebook you can see a video of the speech.  As soon as I can, I will post the video here as well.

Larry Basil, who had TPLL, found Bill through this blog.  Bill and Larry kept in touch through Larry's journey and after the reunion this past Sunday, we met Larry Basil and his wife.  Larry had his transplant on October 6, 2015 at Moffitt.  Larry has been discharged and is outpatient near Moffitt until he reaches his 100 days.  Larry looks great and is doing well considering what he just went through.  Larry, stay strong!!

Next week, we go to Moffitt for Bill's 5 year check up.  I will provide an update after the visit.

Thanks for your continued support and dedication to reading the blog.  Keep the comments coming.

1 comment:

Marilyn Schultz said...

FDear Bill, I have just found your blog and was so pleased to find there are others people with TPLL as I was diagnosed around Christmas time and am currently being treated with IV Campath. My name is Marilyn and I Live in Australia, on a farm about 300 km north of Melbourne. I am receiving my treatment in Melbourne and living with my son and his family whilst my husband does a lot of commuting to keep things running on the farm. I am the first patient in two years that has presented at Royal Melbourne Hospital with TPLL which was picked up by a junior doctor at my local clinic when I complained of tiredness and weight loss. My White Celll Count was 30 and subsequently rose to around 200.
I have had problems with my lungs and have had a number of pleural effusions drained. I have undergone pleurodesis <(using iodine- surgery was too risky) and this has been successful so no more lung drainage or pneumothorax ( twice). I was in hospital for about 5 weeks feeling extremely well but have responded well to Campath and my WCC is now around 7. Treatment is Mon/Wed/Fri 30 mg each infusion. I am feeling well and remoulding my strength. I am 67 years old and not sure if after Campath a bone marrow transplant will be done or not. I do have an older brother who is a 95% match.
Cheers to everyone from Australia, especially those travelling similar journeys.
Marilyn